Why Some Smiles Last A Lifetime
When it comes to something as important as your teeth, you want to be sure they remain beautiful and healthy for a lifetime. In simple terms, a healthy mouth looks great, feels great, and chews great. Bioesthetic Dentistry provides you with all of the above: a healthy, beautiful, natural-looking smile that is comfortable, functional, and lasting.
You may be surprised to know that the beauty of your smile may affect the health, function and longevity of your teeth. The natural form and function of your teeth, bite, muscles and jaw joints, collectively called the Chewing System, was naturally designed to protect your mouth from harm.
After years of scientific research and observation of people who have healthy natural teeth, where little or no dental repair was needed to preserve their teeth, it was discovered that proper alignment of the jaw joint (TMJ-Temporomandibular Joint) was a critical factor. In these mouths the jaw joints are stable, muscles were relaxed and pain-free, and the teeth are practically unworn. These healthy Chewing Systems resulted in exceptionally beautiful smiles and youthful faces, functional bites, comfortable joints and muscles, and essentially trouble-free, long lasting mouths.
Put simply, when all the parts of the Chewing System are healthy and in harmony with each other, the jaw joints, muscles, and teeth work together in concert. When the jaw joints and the teeth are not aligned properly, the jaw muscles over flex and force the jaw joints to move out of center in order to make the teeth fit. Over time this will lead to any number of the following problems:
- Headache pain (it is estimated that 85% of all headaches are bite related)
- Temporomandibular joint pain
- Broken, worn, chipped or cracked teeth
- Grinding or clenching of teeth
- Jaw clicking, popping, or locking
- Neck pain
- Sore and tender jaw muscles
- Difficulty chewing
- Sore and sensitive teeth
- An unattractive smile and premature aging of the face
Bioesthetic Dentistry addresses the root causes of these problems, rather that cosmetically covering up the symptoms. Bioesthetic Dentistry is a re-creative art; its goal is to emulate the natural beauty, form and function of healthy chewing systems that have lasted a lifetime.
As a Bioesthetic-trained Dentist, I am uniquely qualified to help you have a naturally beautiful smile that is healthy, comfortable, functional, and lasting. This is achieved by accomplishing the following goals:
- The jaw joints are centered in their sockets and stabilized by comfortable, unstrained muscles and ligaments.
- All the teeth are designed to fit together correctly and evenly when the jaw joints are aligned.
- Proper fit and arrangement of the front teeth is established to protect the back teeth during jaw movements such as chewing, talking and swallowing.
- Worn and damaged teeth are repaired to their natural form and original length to provide long lasting, functional, and beautiful results.
- Optimal biologic function of the chewing system is restored for optimal oral health.
While we can’t stop the normal aging process, Bioesthetic Dentistry can rejuvenate your smile, restore harmony to the entire chewing system, and create pain-free, beautiful, and healthy teeth that can last a lifetime.
Dr. Dornin is currently the only Level IV OBI dentist in Pennsylvania.
For more information about Bioesthetics, call our office for a consultation or visit The OBI Foundation for Bioesthetic Dentistry at www.obifoundation.org
Click on the Bio Sue video link below to view a description of how a healthy bite and jaw joint work together.